Chak hao Black Rice is a culturally important and stress tolerant traditional rice variety from Manipur, which provides not only nutraceutical benefits, but also plays a significant role in the socio-cultural practices of the local Meitei community.
Chakhao in the Manipuri language means "delicious rice" and along with its distinct taste and flavour, it has high nutraceutical properties such as antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, fibre, vitamin and mineral contents.
Historically, Black Rice was supposed to be a royal delicacy and forbidden for common people in Asian countries such as China & Indonesia. As legends have it, during the imperial period in China, common people were not allowed to cultivate/store black rice without the approval of the authorities and hence it was called forbidden rice.
Region/Terrain: Manipur, India
Colour of Kernel: Black/Dark Purple
Dehusk Status: Unpolished
Process: Hand Pounded
Grain Size/Type: Medium to Long
Properties: Aromatic/Scented Rice Variety
Directions for cooking:
- Always soak the Black Rice overnight before cooking
- Cook the Black Rice in an open vessel, avoiding a pressure cooker
- Best suited as a desserts like Kheer, Payasam, Pudding, Sauteed with Veggies, as Sushi Rice and as puffed rice or flakes as well.
Nutritional & Medicinal benefits:
- Medicinal for diabetic patients
Reduces complexity during childbirth
- Antioxidant properties
- High in Fibre content
- Used in community feasts & rituals
Offered to pregnant women before childbirth
Ingredients: Black Rice
Best before 6 months from the date of manufacturing
- WHY DO WE NEED CHEMICALS AND PRESERVATIVES WHEN NATURAL FOOD INGREDIENTS ARE ENOUGH
- NO VEGANS WERE HARMED WHILE MAKING THIS PRODUCT
Did you know - Culturally for the Meitei community of Manipur, abandoning cultivation of black rice before three years of its consecutive cultivation is considered a taboo.